Sunday, November 06, 2005

Mom and atheism

Taken from my yahoo! messenger chat history.

[10/28/05-13:41] she: are u an atheist or an agnostic?
[10/28/05-13:41] me: atheist
[10/28/05-13:42] me: depends on who you call on atheist.
[10/28/05-13:42] she: atheist is one who challanges the existence of God
[10/28/05-13:43] me: i don't challenge the existence of god. i just don't care.


I remember having a conversation with my mom during eleventh standard. Those where the days when I was naive enough to believe in atheism, or for that matter, believe in something. After arguing with her for a couple of hours, I managed to convince her that there was no god, or so I thought.

As I beamed a euphoric smile and was about to ask for another cup of coffee, she said in a calm and dignified tone - What you say sounds right, but I am comfortable with the way things are. I don't want to change them, and proceeded to perform a puja.

I was furious then, but I admire her now. She had the maturity that I can only dream to possess.


Clarification: This post does not mean that I am a theist. A lot of people have misinterpreted this. I wonder how. This post is as clear as an azure sky of deepest summer.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

superb post.

P.S.:- I ve been leaving stray comments here and there in your blog; have come here thru Nilu's quite many times.

Ishwar said...

zero, :)
yours looks interesting.