Sunday, November 06, 2005

Of movies, miasaurus and mambalam

I have a recorded history of being incredibly dumb. I was three by the time I started saying amma, appa so much so that my mom and most of my relatives had come to the conclusion that I was mentally retarded. It was another year by the time I started making up reasonably complex sentenes.

How many people do you know who have took two attempts to clear L.K.G.? Your faithful narrator holds this unenviable record. The L.K.G. and U.K.G. progress reports are proofs of an established blank mind. I did not understand algebra till eighth standard, trigonometry till my eleventh and electronics till date.

When I watched the likes of The shawshank redemption and Se7en a couple of years back,I failed to understand and appreciate the movie. But Jurassic Park and Forrest Gump, I did.

Watching these movies now, I can't understand how I couldn't have appreciated these movies at 22. Shawshank redemption's brilliance took my breath away with a punch in my gut, and it was not the climax or the outcome of the movie, but the sheer power of narration and Tim Robbin's passive face.

I didn't intend to see Amercan History X at all. I don't like movies that preach or idolise, be it an ideology or a moral. The IMDB plot outline outlined such:

A former neo-nazi skinhead (Norton) tries to prevent his younger brother (Furlong) from going down the same wrong path that he did.

and had it not been for the fact that I went out and took the trouble of buying an ethernet card just for increased download speeds, I don't think I'd have watched the movie. I loved the non-preachy way in which the realisation is potrayed.

Overall, I am glad that I get to watch these movies, without which my weekends would've instilled suicidal tendencies in me.

P.S: I am not gay, but this guy is something.

6 comments:

Nilu said...

If you need a reason to hate Ed Norton, here it is :That boy is a heavy AYM-GRAMD!

dev2r said...

Watch '25th hour' - he's as good as in American History X.

Nilu said...

In fact I liked him better in Rounders :))....don't know why!

anantha said...

And if you want to give a movie of his a miss, it should be "Italian Job"!

And ya, American History X is one hell of a movie...

Ishwar said...

The problem with being in India is that you don't have netflix. I have to download these movies, and that me brothers, is one painful job.

tonight's screening: full metal jacket :)

dev2r said...

I feel your pain. That's one of the main reasons I love staying here.